Animal Welfare – Ministers approve new law
Proposed Law Published in Official Newspaper of the Republic of Cyprus
On the 6th of December 2019 the law amending the Animal Welfare Law of Cyprus has been published int he official newspaper of the republic of Cyprus. This is the first step towards creating law in Cyprus and as such the various members of parliament will be able to comment and consider the amending law on the animal welfare of animals in Cyprus. Click the link to download
New, important measures for the strengthening of legal framework for animal welfare in Cyprus was decided by the council of ministers. The proposal was submitted by the Minister of Agriculture, Rural Development and Environment Mr. Kostas Kadis. The proposed amendment to the law will be submitted to parliament for voting.
Animal Welfare in Cyprus
With this decision the law Protecting the Welfare and Prosperity of Animals (Law 46(i)/1994) will be amended. New restrictive provisions are inserted aiming to improve the living conditions and safekeeping of animals.
It will be prohibited to:
- Permanently have a dog or a cat on a lead or line
- Maintain or confine a dog or cat on a balcony, roofs or veranda
- Hold captive sea mammals (dolphins, wales, seals)
Fines and Penalties
Fines which the court may impose are significantly increased, the new measures introduce the possibility to sentence a person to jail time in case found guilty of animal abuse or animal neglect. More specifically:
- If found guilty the first time the fine is increased from Euro 1,700 to Euro 10,000.
- If found guilty the second time the fine is increased from Euro 3,400 to Euro 20,000.
- If found to obstruct or disobey the instructions of the Animal Services or the Police the fine is increased from Euro 850 to Euro 5,000.
Strengthening of the Animal Welfare policy bodies
The Pancyprion Coordination Commission For the Welfare of Animals ( Παγκύπρια Συντονιστική Επιτροπή Ευημερίας των Ζώων) will be enhanced to include further stakeholders and its role will be enhanced. The role and purpose of the Pancyprion Coordination Commission For the Welfare of Animals is to:
- To deal with wider matters of policy through the coordination of the activities of the municipal welfare commissions
- The organization of training seminars for organizations, owners
- To represent the municipal welfare commissions
Deposit Agreements for Real Estate acquisitions in Cyprus. Although the agreements for the sale and purchase of a real estate in Cyprus are a topic to be discussed in a separate post this article covers the preliminary stage. The preliminary stage of a real estate...